High / Low Linky Party


high low
Please join me in sharing your
highest and lowest moments/memories from January.
 
This will be a reoccurring linky party that will revolutionize blogging.
Well maybe not, but it will be fun and it will
give us a chance to get real about the lows in life
as well as the highs.
Here goes….
“Fasten your safety belts, Its going to be a bumpy ride.”-Betty Davis
HIgh (2)
I have to say one of the high moments of my January came
to me as a classroom creator for TpT.
My high was seeing American Heroes make it to #7 on the top 100 list.
image
I worked on it for months.
I mean months…
Like through Christmas break even…
Many dear and darling friends and family edited for me,
cheered me on,
and
you guys liked it! 
love it
You liking it was the best part!
Thank you for making that happen…
What a joy!
low

My low point was losing one of my students.
Well, losing him was not the low point.
 
{I am about to get really real with you. Are you ready?}
My low point was that  I was happy to see him move on.
Please don’t throw tomatoes.
I actually loved him, but he was soooooo much work.
No matter how much I gave him, it wasn’t enough.
No matter how many times I would reteach a concept,
he never scored more than a 50% on any given test.
Which would mean another re-teaching session.
He had every peer buddy in place…
sight words
fluency
reading
I did 1 on 1 guided reading
I used every trick ….
You name it.
Plus, he hurt the other children in my class.
He would mutter mean things, pinch, and trip others.
Socially he was in pain and misery loves company.
Academically…
He grew in tiny steps- barely measurable.
He was not special day, nor did he need RSP services,
He was just low, distracted, and busy.
He was wearing me out.
Then he moved.
I was SOOOO HAPPY.
Being soooo HAPPY to lose a student, made me so sad.
I felt horrible being happy, but I was happy.
I know that another teacher will pick up where I left off.
I know that I planted and watered and tended his little garden.
I am HAPPY to let someone else bring in the harvest (so to speak).
I am SOOO HAPPY that I feel sad.
But don’t cry of me Argentina….
Tell me all about your Highs and Lows of this month.
Share pictures… spill the beans… let that cat out of the bag!
Let us high five and hug you with the stories you share.
Let the comments you receive be your both
"Oscar Moment" and your free therapy.
Grab any and all of the graphics you want.
Link up, Link back, and comment out the person directly in front of you
and come on back to check out the person after you.
I love Farley’s Power of Three.
Here are your graphics.
You can also grab the “type onto” graphic
a-la Fraley style.
Farley, I love ya. Can you tell?????
high low Big
high low
HIgh (2)
low

1. Link up at the bottom of the post
2. Link back to this post
3. Comment 3 times-here, the person before, and the person after.
QuickEdit
Katie Knight
26 Comments

26 comments:

  1. Oh goodness, don't feel badly about that! We have ALL had THAT student. And you know we have all secretly fantasized about that student moving to another school! We are only human. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The same exact thing happened to me this semester... I lost a truly difficult student and I was definitely guilty of a little happy dance. I like to think it was a God thing... not just for me, but for him as well. I think he needed a change.

    All of that is to say... you are not alone!!!

    Can't wait to link up... I definitely have both! Thanks for hosting :)

    Brittany
    Closing the Gap... in a Cute Outfit

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh we've all had them and hopefully they don't come around too often. Cheers to a lighter load-until you get a new student... ;)

    ~Christy & Tammy
    Fluttering Through First Grade

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't wait to link up! So get what you mean about your student...I have similar feelings when they are sick.

    Laurie
    Chickadee Jubilee

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great idea for a Linky! I think we're taught to feel guilty about not loving every single part of every single one of our students, and it just can't be that way. I've had a few of those students you mention. It's okay to feel the way you do. Now you can focus on the rest of your class!

    Halle
    Across the Hall in 2nd Grade

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this linky idea!

    Don't feel badly about being slightly happy that your student moved. You can love and care about each one of your students, but it's natural to feel a sense of relief when the difficult ones move on. I had a similar experience this month too. I felt badly that I was happy that a girl moved away, but the classroom dynamic really did change for the better after she was gone.

    Becky
    Compassionate Teacher

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a fab linky, Katie!
    And, our thoughts are our thoughts...we shouldn't feel bad for our thoughts...only for our actions.
    Love you, girl!
    Growing Firsties is giving away Erin Condren and LOTS more!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree...don't feel bad about that. It's never a bad thing to feel good about your classroom dynamic changing for the better!
    Elizabeth
    Kickin’ it in Kindergarten

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for hosting!! We all have those students now and then that take all of our energy and change the dynamics of our class...don't feel sad. You grew as a person and teacher because of him and he grew because of you!

    Amanda
    Collaboration Cuties

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey... if it makes you feel better my low point was losing a student while I was subbing. Only I actually DID lose him (well, he ran home and was found by the police)! Teaching is a great profession and when I had my own room and students I was always "happy" to see a few students leave each year. You are only human, I would never throw tomatoes at you!

    Amy @ 3amcreations.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks so much for hosting!! And I know the feeling of being sad that you're happy. I do... but you're right, you planted the seed!!! :)
    Jessica
    ideas by jivey


    ReplyDelete
  12. Such a wonderful linky idea! I think it is so great and comforting to hear everyone's high and lows! Teachers truly understand one another! (:

    Lauren
    Dynamicduo1and2.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love this linky idea! We play high/low every single night at dinner with the kids. We each say our high and low for the idea.

    Don't feel bad about how you feel. We all reach that point at sometime.

    Mrs. Pauley’s Kindergarten

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is such a wonderful linky idea! It's always "refreshing" if you will to see that you are not alone when it comes to ups in downs in teaching.

    Do not feel bad for seeing a kiddo go. It happens from time to time to everyone. There will always be that one challenge that cannot be met and sometimes it's better to see it go then to try and conquer.

    Erin
    www.missandersonkinder.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great linky! I agree with everyone else. It is hard to feel that way when a student goes, but it does happen. We all have felt that way at some point. Keep looking at each student as individuals and find their good points to make the most of your class! You are not alone!

    Andrea
    Reading Toward the Stars

    ReplyDelete
  16. You guys are the best. I can't wait to read all your highs and lows.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks for the linky! And for your honest sharing. I could totally see that for myself. Some students suck your energy, time, and joy. I would feel bad for feeling good as well. But it is okay!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I think you should rejoice that this student has left your class! You deserve it!
    Justin- Writing Pad Dad
    Follow my blog!
    “Like” me on Facebook!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Waawhoo on making it to #7 in the top #100 TPT items. Boy Oh Boy, What an amazing accomplishment! And I think I can say that most teachers have been there with being happy or more like relieved when a challenging student leaves. I know I have been there before, except I had 2 of those kind of students in together in the same year where one did leave but not until the 2nd to last week of school while the other stayed all--- year long. What's sad is that the one that stayed really really need to repeat but his parents refused with outrage. Oh well, what can ya do some times. I am sure some of those seeds you planted will grow. I am super excited for you about your amazing TPT success!

    Brittany
    Lovely Literacy & More

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thank you soooo much for hosting this super fun linky party Katie! I love high/low :) Please do not feel bad about that student. I had the same issue this year and when that little guy left, the entire room seemed to change. It was really in his best interest too. I'm so happy for you and all your success, you are a total rockstar!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I totally understand how you feel about the student. In my linky I talked about a similar emotional position. Don't worry, we all can relate :) Thanks for the great linky!

    Amelia
    thewildthingslearn.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  23. Such a cute linky! What a great way to thing about the good and bad on the month. Thank you!

    :) Kaitlyn
    Smiles and Sunshine

    ReplyDelete
  24. Congrats & a BIG hug to you on TpT, American Heroes! I LOVE your unit, it seriously is one of the best!!


    Amy Howbert
    Little Miss Organized
    amyhowbert1@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  25. Congrats on being in the top 100! And don't beat yourself up....we've all been there.

    Brenda
    Primary Inspired

    ReplyDelete
  26. Love your honesty girl! We've all had those students...we've all had those moments. It takes real courage to admit it and even more to share it. I'll be back to link up!
    Love ya,
    Michele
    The Lightbulb Lab

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I feel the love!

[name=Katie] [img=http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-U1-2dzFyc04/WhXAmwJMcYI/AAAAAAAAZNI/52GrfbQt7FMuyz_-yEwUQF87eG-PhMSkgCK4BGAYYCw/s1600/teacher%2Bto%2Bthe%2Bcore%2Bpic%2Bsmall.jpg] [description=Leave Me a Comment, I would love to hear from you :)] (facebook=https://www.facebook.com/TeacherToTheCore) (instagram=https://www.instagram.com/teachertothecore/) (bloglovin=https://www.bloglovin.com/blogs/teacher-to-core-4115237) (pinterest=https://www.pinterest.com/katiehappymom/teacher-to-the-core-blogspot-com/)