Search

American Heroes!

I finished it!

{Cue the Angels singing and my family cheering!}

This has been a real labor of love.

From commissioning the art, from Melonheadz

to writing and writing and WrItInG….

then editing, and editing (eyes crossing) and editing

(Thank you Lisa and Greg for the help of editing)

It’s been a long haul, but I am pleased to introduce……

Cover

Like Mammals of the Woods and American Symbols this unit falls into

the category of

“Common Core: Informational Reading and More”

  The fluency passages are differentiated to provide you materials to

challenge all levels of reading in your classroom.

The differentiation also means that this unit can reach

first – third graders.

My first graders read the same passage all week for fluency practice.

Third graders might use these pages as comprehension builders.

D2

Every passage has a page like this that can be used as a test or

photocopied on the back as reading comprehension.

MLK test

D3

d4

Here are the heroes I covered in this unit

Johnny Appleseed
Betsy Ross
George Washington
Helen Keller
Abe Lincoln
Harriet Tubman
Alexander Graham Bell
Susan B. Anthony
Amelia Earhart
Bessie Coleman
Martin Luther King Jr.
Rosa Parks
Barack Obama

To keep the fluency readable for first graders ( which can be tricky,

might I add) I provided a background information card to be read to

them before hand.  This introduces key vocabulary. It is pretty enough

to be displayed on the wall while that hero is being studied.  The

second and third grade fluency passages don’t really need these

background info cards, but can still be read to them ahead of time as a

form of introduction.

d5

This time I have added a great grammar component to support

teaching the parts of speech and subject/predicate for my 3rd grade

peeps.  I have provided cool anchor charts as tools.

13

My most favorite part is the art!

 I am in love!

Of course, all of the art

has an academic component, which makes it smart art.

New


Here’s Johnny….
IMG_8455


I cannot tell a lie, this George is cute.
IMG_8456


Honestly, Abe is a sweetheart too!
IMG_8447


MKL is C-U-T-E.
IMG_8446

Of course, the art comes with directions in pictures and words.

Here is a sample.

12

I also gave you a ton of fun ways to support the Common Core

 in your classroom.
6

Speaking of needs, when you are talking about history, timelines are

super helpful. I gave you all the materials you need to create a

HUGE timeline in your room!  You get an 8-10 inch full color graphic of

each hero. Also provided are date markers.

14

This is really a labor of love and I hope you enjoy it. 

Head over to TpT by clicking here {here}

The first person to comment wins my new unit!

But comment away, because I will choose another winner on

Monday 7th.

You must be a follower on my blog to win.

(I need to be able to find your name in my followers box)

Congrats Michelle, comment #11

 for winning my Place Value Leprechaun.