Jasper Roberts Consulting - Widget

January 5, 2013

American Heroes!

I finished it!

{Cue the Angels singing and my family cheering!}

This has been a real labor of love.

From commissioning the art, from Melonheadz

to writing and writing and WrItInG….

then editing, and editing (eyes crossing) and editing

(Thank you Lisa and Greg for the help of editing)

It’s been a long haul, but I am pleased to introduce……

Cover

Like Mammals of the Woods and American Symbols this unit falls into

the category of

“Common Core: Informational Reading and More”

  The fluency passages are differentiated to provide you materials to

challenge all levels of reading in your classroom.

The differentiation also means that this unit can reach

first – third graders.

My first graders read the same passage all week for fluency practice.

Third graders might use these pages as comprehension builders.

D2

Every passage has a page like this that can be used as a test or

photocopied on the back as reading comprehension.

MLK test

D3

d4

Here are the heroes I covered in this unit

Johnny Appleseed
Betsy Ross
George Washington
Helen Keller
Abe Lincoln
Harriet Tubman
Alexander Graham Bell
Susan B. Anthony
Amelia Earhart
Bessie Coleman
Martin Luther King Jr.
Rosa Parks
Barack Obama

To keep the fluency readable for first graders ( which can be tricky,

might I add) I provided a background information card to be read to

them before hand.  This introduces key vocabulary. It is pretty enough

to be displayed on the wall while that hero is being studied.  The

second and third grade fluency passages don’t really need these

background info cards, but can still be read to them ahead of time as a

form of introduction.

d5

This time I have added a great grammar component to support

teaching the parts of speech and subject/predicate for my 3rd grade

peeps.  I have provided cool anchor charts as tools.

13

My most favorite part is the art!

 I am in love!

Of course, all of the art

has an academic component, which makes it smart art.

New


Here’s Johnny….
IMG_8455


I cannot tell a lie, this George is cute.
IMG_8456


Honestly, Abe is a sweetheart too!
IMG_8447


MKL is C-U-T-E.
IMG_8446

Of course, the art comes with directions in pictures and words.

Here is a sample.

12

I also gave you a ton of fun ways to support the Common Core

 in your classroom.
6

Speaking of needs, when you are talking about history, timelines are

super helpful. I gave you all the materials you need to create a

HUGE timeline in your room!  You get an 8-10 inch full color graphic of

each hero. Also provided are date markers.

14

This is really a labor of love and I hope you enjoy it. 

Head over to TpT by clicking here {here}

The first person to comment wins my new unit!

But comment away, because I will choose another winner on

Monday 7th.

You must be a follower on my blog to win.

(I need to be able to find your name in my followers box)

Congrats Michelle, comment #11

 for winning my Place Value Leprechaun.



58 comments:

  1. Holy Cow Miss Katie-this looks Auh-mazing! We hear ya with the crossed eyes after awhile and you just can't see straight! Congrats on your accomplishment. Cue the angels...
    ~Christy & Tammy
    Fluttering Through First Grade

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Great packet!

    rmariemuniz@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks AWE-SOME! Love that you included timeline materials, along with all of the other great components. Are you sure you didn't mean the first 3 comments? ;) cbwirfs@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! You have been busy! This looks so cute!! I love it!!

    Just curious- who did the art? By commissioned, did you ask someone to do the specific heroes?

    Amanda
    Collaboration Cuties

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is amazing! Thank you for all of the hours you put into creating this awesome unit! I can't wait to use it! Alihelline@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love it! American heroes are my favorite to teach. This looks fabulous. I'm putting it on my wish list!!
    ~Andi

    ReplyDelete
  7. This pack is fabulous!!! I teach a gifted 3rd but I think there are a lot of elements I could use. It's on my wish list!!
    Gina
    Beach Sand and Lesson Plans

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful. I have Mammals, Symbols, ABC, Jedi, Santa and Winter Nouns units, and would love this one also! Thank you so much for giving so much time to your units so teachers like me can purchase them. I love all of the (and I have quite a few!).
    Alyce
    Alyce.bartel@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks great! I just put it on my wishlist along with the American Symbols one too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This unit looks great and I would love to have it!
    Kayla
    kaylahenr@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow!!!! This unit looks amazing! I can tell how much hard work you put into it by looking at the preview pictures alone! I love how it's one stop shopping for the important American figures we all teach. I would love to get my hands on a copy!

    Happy Sunday!
    Halle
    Acrossthehallin2nd@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my! This unit looks amazing..and just what I need to integrate my Famous American unit with Reading/ELA!

      Delete
  12. Awesome unit. I have the mammals one and need to get this one now:) Thanks for your hard work:) Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  13. Awesome unit. I have the mammals one and need to get this one now:) Thanks for your hard work:) Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  14. Awesome unit. I have the mammals one and need to get this one now:) Thanks for your hard work:) Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  15. This look fantastic! I am sure this will be engaging and informative for students. Great CC unit! Adding to my wish list.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Awesome Unit! You are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This pack looks terrific! You've obviously been working hard. I can't wait to pick it up at TpT.

    ReplyDelete
  18. My goodness! I would love to have this! It looks like a product I'd be able to use in its entirety!! Love the crafts too!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh my goodness your historical figure crafts are adorable! You have serious talent! Love it!

    thepolishedteacher@gmail.com
    ThePolishedTeacher

    ReplyDelete
  20. Katie I {really} can't wait to use this unit with my class! Thought about entering the giveaway, but couldn't hold back-lol. Just bought it on TPT. Amazing Unit!

    Patti
    primary practice

    ReplyDelete
  21. This looks awesome! I am so so so excited about it! Thanks for all of your hard work! :)

    Katie
    Smiles from 2nd Grade

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is AMAZING!!

    Heather (heathernnance@yahoo.com)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Katie - It was SUCH a privilege to edit it - it is such an incredibly comprehensive and well-thought out unit...PERFECT for Common Core!

    Now that I see the art I'm almost weeping it's so stinkin' presh! Nikki at MelonHeadz is truly amazing, too.

    MelonHeadz + Teacher to the Core = Highly Engaging Common Core Instruction!

    Love ya, girl - Lisa
    Growing Firsties

    ReplyDelete
  24. Looks like a perfect resource for my Hero Unit.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Love all these great units! It's great that I KNOW all these units will work in my classroom! Thank you for all your hard work!!

    Kiah
    kiah.m.berg@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  26. Wow you are great! This is all so wonderful! I just started a blog and added you to "Blogs I Love"...
    Thanks for all your hard work!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Wow - this looks amazing! Fingers crossed, but added it to my wishlist just in case :)
    Storie
    Stories by Storie

    ReplyDelete
  28. This unit looks awesome! I am going to be doing a biography unit in the next few weeks and this would be PERFECT!! *crossing my fingers*
    Lmlynes@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  29. This is amazing!!!!! I have your Mammals of the Woods and American Symbols Units and just LOVE them both!Would love to have this.

    ReplyDelete
  30. This is by far, the bestest thing I have seen today! I am keeping my fingers crossed until you email me!

    faithfulinfirst.blogspot.com

    pinksmyink@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  31. WOW!! That looks awesome! So much great information. Would love to use this with my firsties!
    Colleen :-)
    colleendembs@yahoo.com
    Fun and Fearless in First

    ReplyDelete
  32. This looks amazing! Just what I need for my ASD classroom to teach these amazing people to my kiddos.

    ReplyDelete
  33. This looks fabulous. I can't wait to check it out. The artwork is very cute.
    Thanks so much!

    schoolisahappyplace.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  34. oooo love this unit it is definitely going on my wishlist ! In case I don't win it ; ) I'm a follower.

    Lindsey - lmburto@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  35. Love this unit! Your graphics are great as is the information! I follow you:)

    ReplyDelete
  36. Love this and I know my students would too!!!!! I follow you here and on TPT!!!!! I just added you to my TPT wishlist!!!!
    Tammy
    oh2az84@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  37. Great artwork and content! This could go nicely with the book we will be reading, "50 American Heroes Every Kid Should Meet"

    ReplyDelete
  38. Wow! What a way to kick off the new year. This unit looks fantastic! Thanks for all the effort!

    ReplyDelete
  39. <3 it! Especially the American Heroes art component.

    ReplyDelete
  40. Ever though about selling the crafts separately?? I love them! Too cute!

    Caitlin
    Kindergarten Smiles

    ReplyDelete
  41. Oh my gosh, Katie! You've created a masterpiece! I absolutely adore this unit (Love MelonHeadz, too!)and have already put it in my cart and pinned it obsessively! This is so right up my alley with all of the foldy crafts included and will be so perfect for our biographies unit later this quarter. I can use it across my whole 2nd grade curriculum and even with my intervention groups!

    Thank you for sharing this lovely labor of love with us all!
    Linda
    AroundtheKampfire

    ReplyDelete
  42. I would LOVE to win your unit! :) Thanks so much!

    ~Wendy
    (Mrs. Davies)

    ReplyDelete
  43. This looks awesome! I'm off to purchase if I don't win.

    ReplyDelete
  44. This is awesome! Adding to my wishlist now!

    Christina :)
    Apples, Books, and Crayons
    applesbooksandcrayons@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  45. Oh my goodness! This looks FABULOUS! I am very excited about this unit. It looks very good so I will definitely be heading over to your store!! Thanks for making this.

    Sarah
    Sarah's First Grade Snippets

    ReplyDelete
  46. The artwork is so cute!Looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  47. AWESOME job!!! Your George Washington craft caught my eye as I was just complaining that I am bored with the one I do each and every year!! Thanks for the opportunity to win!!

    Crystal
    zadorafamily@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  48. Wow! I know I'm too late for the giveaway but this is Wonderful!!!

    Amanda
    amandalawson4@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  49. Looks Amazing! I understand why the choir was singing. I am a follower. tfrteach@aol.com.. I follow you under tfrteach on Bloglovin'

    ReplyDelete
  50. What a complete pack Looks great. I follow on bloglovin. bartramsbuccaneers@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  51. This is a wonderful packet! It would come in so handy in my first grade classroom!

    kim.menning@k12.sd.us

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I feel the love!

 
Back To Top