In 2014- Don’t Nag, Instead Brag


I have to tell you in 2014 I am going to continue to seek the positive.   I will not “nag” instead I will “brag” using these notes!
imageBrag about your students when you see a glimmer of great behavior because nagging them won't work
These are some of the 85 notes I am using to shout out amazing classroom behavior and watch it multiply! I wrote all about this before, but as I am setting goals for myself and my students, I find “looking for the positive” to be an ongoing goal.
How It Works For Me
Brag about your students when you see a glimmer of great behavior because nagging them won't work
OK so we know Miley is currently a little um wild, but if I had to teach her right now, in her current state, I would need to find a way to catch her being good.  I did not make a note that says “ Good job staying fully clothed” but Miley might keep a clean desk, and that might be the only thing I could find to praise. These notes help me to easily see the good in every child.
Awarding Kids / 30 Second Awards Ceremony



Just in case the video isn't working, I thought I might explain as well:
During last recess,  I start pulling notes from a pocket chart (my friend uses a shoe holder)  and I write names on the mini awards.
30 second shout outs highlight excellence.  Like a mini awards ceremony! Simply print, photocopy, and reward!  More than 80 rewards included in full and quater sheet sizes.
As the kids finish packing up they come to the carpet wearing their packs, and we have a 30 second awards ceremony.  I call out a name, say what the award is for, and shake their hand. They take their award and stand in front of the group. Then I award 5-7 kids. ( See graphic below) It looks something like this…
BRAG don't NAG - Such a cute way to shout out great classroom behavior and watch it multipy
Then the “audience kids” take out their imaginary cameras, make picture taking sounds, and then shout in unison, “You’re FAMOUS!” I swear the little award recipients are beaming, blossoming, and making me tear up almost every day.  Then we leave. These awarded kids go soaring out the door and their first words when they get in the car are…
“MRS KNIGHT GAVE ME AN AWARD TODAY! I’M THE PRINTING PRINCE!” Then the mother kisses her elated child, and the mom gives me an extra big smile while I am out on traffic duty.
What a scene. It’s really amazing!

Brag about your students when you see a glimmer of great behavior because nagging them won't work and you never know what your students can go on to accomplish
Plus, we never know what a child can become with extra encouragement.  Maya loved words! And once she found her voice, she shared it with the world!
 Shout out great classroom behavior- brag instead of nag (5)
Brag about your students when you see a glimmer of great behavior because nagging them won't work and you never know who your students will go to touch or what live they will help change in the future
We don’t know if the child in front of us is going to go on to help others in the field of education.  I want to meet the person that encouraged Cara in her early life. I want to meet the person who told her she should write a blog.  I want to thank them.  I want to foster in others what someone had fostered in Cara! Maybe someday one of my students will come back and say, “Thanks for the encouragement notes Mrs. Knight. It made a difference!”
Shout out great classroom behavior- brag instead of nag
Sub Helper Notes- Leave this series of 4 notes for your sub to hand out at the end of the day for the kids who helped her most
These are Sub Helper Notes- I leave a series of 4 notes for my sub to hand out at the end of the day for the kids who helped her most. My last sub begged me for a copy of the notes. She plans to use them daily for the various rooms she visits.  Shout out great classroom behavior- brag instead of nag (4)
Shout out great classroom behavior- brag instead of nag (3)Shout out great classroom behavior- brag instead of nag (2)
Organizing is easy!
You can use a pocket chart, an index card file, a shoe hanger, clear sleeves in a folder, or just stacks standing on end in a drawer.  Or you can try this: start with 1 kind of award. Award peacemakers for a week, then switch to award printing princes and princesses, then switch to children to receive compliments. I included lots of management tips, check off sheets and a complete table of contents in the unit.Slide4 Slide5
In honor of New Year’s Shout Outs and Parent Reminders will be on sale for 30% off through the 2nd of January 2014.  Start off your New Year with a bang! Be organized and positive with two of my all time favorites!


New Cover
Click tpt
Happy New Year, my loves! I pray that you are each blessed. It is an honor to teach with you all! Sending love!
QuickEdit
Katie Knight
17 Comments

17 comments:

  1. These are a wonderful idea! I will be back to purchase them if/when I am every in a lower elementary classroom again. Right now I think my 6th graders would just roll their eyes {even though I know they would secretly be jumping for joy!}. =)
    ~HoJo~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Uhmmmmm Yeah.. well I'm kinda OBSESSED with these!!!!! Beyond awesome cuteness and fabulousness is all over this!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Katie- What a sweet post and I am sure Cara will jump for joy...and maybe Miley....well maybe if she had a fabulous teacher using these very sweet notes... Heehee!

    I bought these in August and need to print and use them more often. I like the shoe pockets to keep them out and organized.

    Happy New Year
    Tammy
    The Resourceful Apple

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can not tell you how much I LOVE this!!!! I was literally JUST thinking about how I need to work on praising my kids on more specific things to get them motivated!! I'm so glad you did the work for me :)

    Happy New Year to you and yours!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the praise notes. Will be sending my classroom teachers to get this one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My resolution this year is to be more positive also. I purchased the Shout-Outs and Reminder Notes earlier in the school year. Thanks for the reminder. I will definitely put them to use now.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the shout outs. They seem to cover every stinkin' possible scenario!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank Alicia. I made the list as long as possible!

      Delete
  8. Hello! I'm new to your blog and I'm totally hooked! I loved your purging post and I felt like it was written to *me*! I, too, am grateful for Cara and I'd like to thank her influencing teacher(s), too. Such a gem! You both are!

    Thank you!

    Warmly,
    Sara

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just picked up your shout-outs during the big 3million strong sale! Can't wait to start celebrating with my kiddos this week! Awesome product, Katie!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. These are amazing Katie! I love how positive you are! Such a smart way to be proactive with your classroom management. :)
    Sarah
    Sarah's First Grade Snippets

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just used some of these in the classroom I subbed in today! Love them! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I feel the love!

[name=Katie] [img=http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-U1-2dzFyc04/WhXAmwJMcYI/AAAAAAAAZNI/52GrfbQt7FMuyz_-yEwUQF87eG-PhMSkgCK4BGAYYCw/s1600/teacher%2Bto%2Bthe%2Bcore%2Bpic%2Bsmall.jpg] [description=Leave Me a Comment, I would love to hear from you :)] (facebook=https://www.facebook.com/TeacherToTheCore) (instagram=https://www.instagram.com/teachertothecore/) (bloglovin=https://www.bloglovin.com/blogs/teacher-to-core-4115237) (pinterest=https://www.pinterest.com/katiehappymom/teacher-to-the-core-blogspot-com/)