Search

Memorial Day Lessons and Patriotic Cookies

“Lest we forget…” Many Europeans do the most wonderful thing on their Remembrance Day (which is our Memorial Day). They wear a red Poppy to show that they are honoring the fallen soldiers from every war since WW1. I love this tradition and wanted to create this same thing for my students.  6 years ago I had a family in my classroom who had a fallen soldier, and I will never forget the note the mother wrote me. It was simple. “I want to thank you for the poppy. You are thoughtful to help the children remember.” 

IMG_8691-001

In first grade I feel like I am often the one to expose them the great big magical world and sometimes show them a just a little of the harsher side of humanity. I talk honestly about MLK, Abe Lincoln, and war, but do so with a very light touch.  When I talk about Memorial Day and why we celebrate it I find this book very helpful. I got it from Amazon {here}.

 

I love these Rookie Readers. I have purchased every single holiday! Though the Halloween one gets a little spooky, this one simply talks about how wars are often fought to protect people and land.   When a war is fought both sides usually lose soldiers.  We remember them on Memorial Day/ Remembrance Day.

Slide10 I wrote this passage to briefly explain “why” we celebrate and spend a great deal of time on “how” we can celebrate and show honor! I wrote it in all kinds of formats, so that my other teacher pals could pick the one that best suits their class.  The Thinking Maps and writing pages give us a our weekly Step Up to Writing paragraph practice.  This unit is on sale for 30% off Memorial Day Week.

Slide3 Memorial Day Unit

TPT 3

It’s a special day, and “Lest we forget” let us gather together and remember! Today’s family gathering involved making my feather-light sugar cookies.  I will have to share my uber-easy recipe with you very soon!

IMG_8349 In the meantime, I leave you with a fun little behavior gimmick.  Use multi colored magnets to show the student’s filling your bucket. Once all the magnets are up, its time for a reward of some kind. This is quick and easy which is JUST what the doctor ordered at the end of the year!

IMG_9279