Jasper Roberts Consulting - Widget

Burning down the house…almost

The Food Network show Chopped saved my life. Well, not really my
life, just my kitchen. You see, today I set my kitchen on fire. Yeah,
you read that right. I set my kitchen on fire. Not the whole kitchen
just the oven and here is how a Chopped chef saved my bacon.

 

You see on the show Chopped this chicky-poo chef had set her pan on fire. The pan was screaming hot and then she added oil to it.
What a rookie, right?
When she added the oil....
FIRE... not a little fire... a lot of fire!
And we all know setting the kitchen on fire during a Food Network competition is a bad thing. It does not matter if you are on the show Chopped or the show Worst Cooks in America. A general rule applies...

Fire = Bad

IMG_9525

The same rules apply in your own kitchen.
On Food Network the chef took a giant bowl of salt and dumped it
on the fire… all better… Guess what… it works!

So here's what happened in my house.
I was cleaning the kitchen like a good domestic goddess, and I needed to stow away a plastic bin filled with a mini blender, protein bars, and protein shakes. Are you seeing a theme protein... mamma wants to drop 5...

Anyhoooo...
The bin seems to live on my counter and instead of setting the bin on the floor, to wipe the counters… I put it in the oven….
Makes sense right?

I mean, if I had set it on the floor where would I put it when I was mopping?!? I’m always thinking ahead! Now I stick things in the oven all the time, but I don't forget to get them out.
This time I did.

My hubby was making a delicious batch of brownies with eggs (protein), and he was preheating the oven when we saw the flames.
Like a lot of flames.

My kindergartner started screaming, and the smoke alarms began working their magic. I was frozen for a full 30 seconds.
Thoughts raced through my head…
God please help me! I set the kitchen on fire!…
Did I really just do this????…
Do I belong on the show Worst Cooks in America????…
Oh my gosh! I'm never going to live this down !!!!


Fire

My feet are FROZEN to the floor, but the heat from the flames thaws them! So I snap out of it and begin to move. I grab on my elbow length kitchen mitts, grab the burning and melting mess, pull it into a Pyrex, run it to my front porch, run back, and throw an entire box of salt on the flames.

IMG_9526    IMG_9603

I guess I won't be earning my domestic goddess badge this
month…Though I did earn my oven cleaning badge…Look at the shine on that baby! 

18 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness!!!! How scary! Glad everything worked out ok! And now I will always keep a large container of salt handy. :-P
    Jivey
    ideas by jivey

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have an ice cream bowl of salt next to the stove for cooking, and lemme.tell.you.it.came.in.handy!

      Delete
  2. There are so many things I could say, but you're right. You're never going to live this down.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness, that's so scary! When I was younger, I was at my boyfriend's house and I was making something in the oven after work one night. I accidentally knocked the oven mitt into the oven when I put the pan in. I didn't realize it until the oven caught on fire! Oops! (And we haven't dated in... like, 8 years or so, but he still makes fun of the fact that I'm a bad cook. :-) However, I maintain that I've lived alone for like 6 years now, and I haven't died yet, so obviously I'm not that bad! And at least you got a clean oven out of the deal! It's not all bad, right?

    Erica
    Blooming In First

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen Erica! A 6 year survival rate is definite redemption! Who needs a guy who can't handle a little heat in the kitchen anyway!

      Delete
  4. I love you! This is awesome! I wonder if Jackson shared it with his class...

    ReplyDelete
  5. So so glad you were able to Save the Day! Memories

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my goodness - I'm so happy you were able to get the fire out, but what a funny story! I can just imagine the look on my husband's face if I did something like that. Great job thinking and acting quick (well, after the 30 second frozen state). :-) I always enjoy your realistic posts!

    Melissa
    First Grade Smiles

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After I yelled "Everybody FREEZE!" There may have been a few shouts back and forth like.... "Katie, do SOMETHING"...my response.... "I don't KNOW what to do! I'm thinking!"

      Delete
  7. YIKES!!! I'm glad everything turned out okay!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Scary!!! Sounds like you handled it perfectly. Guess a trip to buy more protein bars, etc is in order. :0

    ReplyDelete
  9. So glad everyone is safe! I think you do earn a badge...smart thinking, quick reaction, put a fire out, kept everyone safe...!!! BTW, are you for hire for cleaning ovens?

    Amy Howbert
    Little Miss Organized
    amyhowbert1@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm so glad you are all ok! That is so scary! On the bright side, you have a nice clean (and very shiny) oven now!
    Linda
    AroundtheKampfire

    ReplyDelete
  11. You reminded me of the time I turned the wrong burner on and I started a fire. I froze too thinking do I call 911 or what. I threw baking soda on it and it went out. I ruined the burner and need to get a new stove. I also learned to never put anything on top of the burner, however I do still store things in the oven. I am glad you are ok.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think we've all done something like that at one time or another. What a quick thinker you are! I am a new follower to your blog. It is ADORABLE. I also wanted to mention that I did your Leprechaun Place Value project today and it was A.W.E.S.O.M.E. My kids loved it and so did I. I talked about it in my blog tonight. Thanks so much!
    ~Danielle
    My First Love

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry, Katie. I can't get my link to work. Here is my blog in case you want to see how "your" project turned out!
      http://www.myfirstlove123.blogspot.com

      Delete
  14. I didn't almost burn down my house, but I did almost burn down my HEAD ;)... I was leaning over the stove (gas stove) and while cooking several years back... And set my hair on fire!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I feel the love!

 
Back To Top