Jasper Roberts Consulting - Widget

November 19, 2013

Being a mom {to a puppy}

This is week 3 of life with a newborn…puppy.  I am telling you that human newborns are easier. They just are. You diaper them, feed them, and they don’t do any of the following:

1. Poop all over the house.

2. Run blindly through the house, like the devil himself is chasing him, because poop is stuck to his bottom, thus spreading poop particles!

3. Chew on computer cords.

4. Fall asleep in obscure locations, and make you believe you have lost your Christmas Miracle in October puppy. 

Nor do human newborns …

5. Stay up all night long and cry if you leave the room.  That comes later in parenthood.  It starts instantly with a puppy.

#4 and #5 have really got me growing grey hairs! Disclaimer: I would like to express to you how deeply I love the little fur baby. I would also like to express my DEEP exhaustion regarding our new arrival.

will this puppy sleep tonight or wont he

Let me rewind a day or to and discuss #4. Zero found a comfy spot and fell asleep. Jackson and I had been playing the game Sorry and after we were done we were very sorry we had not been watching the puppy more carefully. We could not find Zero for 10 minutes. After 5 minutes of calling him and running in circles, we still could not find him. Jackson burst into tears and said our big dogs ate him.  I looked for blood… I mean seriously.  The Flower Girls (Poppy and Daisy) who are 20 and 12 pounds only eat dog treats, but a new puppy is annoying. Had they had enough of the intrusive newbie??? Did they corner him and lay on him??? So, I picked up the bigger 20 pound dog to see if she was smothering him.  Nothing. Where was he??? I told Jackson to start picking up everything. I figured he is under something, and at that point I was glad he was not under the BIG shih-tzu. Low and behold… under a pillow and wedged between the pieces of our sectional sofa… was Zero. Soap opera ended… mommy needs a nap and a therapy session.

Puppies sleep in the strangest places 
So moving on to #5 the puppy WON’T sleep at night. No Sir.  Mr. Party-All-the-Time is activated by me shutting the laptop and attempting to go to sleep.  I get him tucked into my sleeping son’s room.  I sit a minute, the puppy looks relaxed and I get up. But then the puppy gets up. I mean, can you see where I am going with this? Repeat 5 times, up-down, up-down, up-down….  I finally trick the puppy into falling asleep AGAIN and leave only to hear crying an hour later! I don’t want him to wake my son.  I don’t want him to wake my husband, so I am up with the puppy.
Last night it was at its worst. I slept on my son’s floor. LIKE AN IDIOT.  I just wanted to sleep and I did not care where. Slllllllllleeeeeeeeeepppppp was all I needed. 10 Aleve later (not really) my back feels better and I am trying something new tonight… I am blogging in my son’s room. The puppy is sleeping and there is a good chance I can get out of here since the puppy seems to be dreaming and this means he is headed toward a deep sleep. PTL

I have at least 5 more minutes to let him really get to sleep so I will make you a little freebie!

Find, Tally, and Graph {dog}

Download now

Enjoy my sweet friends.  PLEASE comment with some puppy tricks ! I am dying of exhaustion here! Love ya!

16 comments:

  1. He is really cute, but wow! Thanks for all of your hard work with him!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel your pain. Every. single. thing you wrote about I have experienced with my two dogs (one of them is a shih-tzu---twin to Zero). I was up all night long with my malti-poo the first night. I had to sleep next to her pen to get her to stop crying. I had their night-time pen in my bedroom until they were old enough (and potty-trained) to sleep in bed with me. If they cried, I just said, "I'm right here!" and made sure they could see my foot. That seemed to work.

    I know puppies are A LOT of work. But I have to smile when I read about your pup. It brings back such memories....

    Ali
    Teaching Powered by Caffeine

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have read that a hot water bottle wrapped in a blanket gives them something warm to snuggle, and if you also have something that makes noises that would imitate a heartbeat it relaxes them. Perhaps a ticking clock. This is supposed to be soothing because it reminds them of their mother. Good luck!
    jkmatuch@aol.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Totally understand. We have a two year old beagle (he still likes to wake me up at night!!!). When we first got him, we were trying not to have him sleep with us, only in the kennel. Yeh right, after a ton of crying and whining, he still sleeps with us! :)
    Good luck. I think this is just preparing me for when we have children. LOL

    Nicki
    Mrs. Thigpen's Kindergarten

    ReplyDelete
  5. No puppy advice because I'm a cat person, but THANKS for the freebie! Good luck!

    Blessings,
    Sarah
    smbhankinson@gmail.com
    Learning is for Superstars
    follow on Facebook

    ReplyDelete
  6. Girrrrlllll... Get a crate before it's too late!!!! Just like a newborn... You put them in the crate, they cry for a night, you put it right next to you... They cry... You say shhhh!!! Like 50x but two nights later... The crate is like their little crib....

    ReplyDelete
  7. CRATE TRAIN!!!!!!!!!!
    Love that puppy. SO CUTE!
    Murphie will be one next week and it is WAY WAY WAY easier now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. How can you get mad at that sweet lil face! We would be doomed. Christy doesn't do dogs-just guinea pigs. Tam is the pro with 2 of her own. May the force be with you love!
    ~Christy & Tammy
    Fluttering Through First Grade

    ReplyDelete
  9. Katie,

    We just got a new puppy too! It was all crazy around here, and then he calmed down all of a sudden! We also took our boy to puppy class, and we are learning a ton. I know it is harder with little dogs, (I have a Yorkie) but the dogs that are in Oliver's puppy class are doing great! You will get rest soon! Hang in there:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. So relate with you on #3. Our newest bundle of joy chewed clean through my middle son's Macbook Pro. Then moved on to my youngest son's Turtle beaches headphones for his xbox. We were not happy to say the least. However, when you look at that sweet innocent face it is difficult to stay mad. Good luck with your new "baby". Wish I could offer you some wonderful words of wisdom, just hang in there. I just keep saying..."she will grow out of this stage"...soon I hope.

    ~Laura

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ***Guess I should proofread before I publish. Our puppy chewed through the cords of these items...lol...not the items themselves!!

      Delete
  11. HAHA.. reading this made me smile, and remember when my Maggie was brought home. My friend gave me this 6 week old puppy, she was supposed to be a Beagle.(She turned out to be quite a bit bigger) The first week, she was sick and almost died. She slowly got better. Then she became hell on 4 legs. Despite numerous trips outside to do her business, she would come in the house and have accidents. I say accidents lightly...I thought for sure something was wrong with her. Last resort, I bought a book on how to train a puppy. It was like the clouds parted, and angels sang.. LOL Small spaces. Puppies do not like to potty in the place where they eat or sleep. So the idea is to make them a smaller space to be in while training so that they get the idea they have to go outside to do their business. A portable play pen or foldable kennel works great. I would bring my pup into my office and shut the door so she couldn't run around the house. She could go into other parts of the house when I was with her. She had her toys to play with. (I also have another dog so she bonded to him). It took about a week for her to be completely potty trained. She is now 2 years old and is so worth all the time put into her. :) Good luck with your little pup! -Danielle- Crayonbox Learning

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I love your Maggie!!! Well there is hope for my little Zero!

      Delete
  12. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I feel the love!

 
Back To Top