Jasper Roberts Consulting - Widget

ABC Order

I love ABC Order. I think it is a great brain builder for multi-step thinking and problem solving.  I also love celebrating holidays and themes with my students! So why not combine them!?! I know! Good question right!?!

dragon
IMG_9320

But is ABC Order a Common Core activity?

You bet!

CCSS.ELA-Literacy.CCRA.L.6


College and Career Readiness L.6 

translated into kid friendly language
I can learn new words (general, academic, and domain specific). Knowing these words helps me with my reading, writing, speaking, and listening. This will help me get ready for college or my career. 


These activities meet the demands of the Common Core. Reasoning
and making sense is a major focus in the Common Core. ABC 
order requires students to read, reason, and sort the words 
according to their relative placement in or on the alphabet.
Vocabulary acquisition is a major standard, as is developing an
 awareness of and participating in systematic reasoning tasks. Not
only is ABC order a great reasoning task, but it is a very fun and
engaging to explore vocabulary!


 

My favorite part of using this it can be used as a center. 
NO pieces to print, laminate, or lose.
The paper is the center!
Yay!



Here is the page ready to become a cute little bulletin board or be sent home to adoring mothers.


Teaching about specific holidays & themes is a snap because the ABC orders hit on the key vocabulary.

Holidays:
Happy New Year
MLK
Chinese New Year
Valentine's Day
President's Day
St. Patrick's Day
Easter / Spring
Earth Day
Cinco de Mayo
Mother's Day
Father's Day
4th of July
Grandparent's Day
Halloween
Thanksgiving
Christmas
Winter

Themes:
Snowmen
School
Seasons
Fire Safety
Animals
The Beach
Space
Weather
Rain forest
Apples
Coins
Pets
Cooking
Ice Cream
Colors & "Mouse Paint" Mini Lesson
Camping
Pirates
Sea Life
Fairy Tale
Jack and the Beanstalk
Sports
Summer Olympics
Birthday
Star Wars



2 comments:

  1. Thank you for taking the time to share your ideas. They are truly appreciated! You are filling my bucket.
    Terri
    momof2andablacklab@cox.net

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I feel the love!

 
Back To Top